This is the perfect simple curry to introduce kids to a bit of spice. you can adjust the amount of curry powder depending on the palettes around the dining table!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1-2 tablespoons of curry powder, depending on how spicy you like it
- 2 tablespoons of butter or margarine
- 2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 5 cm chunks or
- 2 aubergines, skin on, cut into 5cm chunks
- 1 can of canned coconut milk
- Dairy (if using butter)
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Add the chopped onion and chicken or aubergine and cook for 5 minutes. For the chicken, ensure this is browned all over. Remove and place the ingredients into a bowl.
- Carefully pour out any leftover oil and put back onto a low heat. Melt the butter, add the curry powder and garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Careful not to burn it - add a drop of water if you need to.
- Stir in the coconut milk. Return the chicken or aubergine to the pan, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Serve with rice and ENJOY!
Tips and extras
You can use whatever vegetables you like! Butternut squash and chickpeas are a delicious alternative and can be put straight into the curry - skipping step 1.