Tomatoes are very popular in Mediterranean cooking, especially Italian! Tomato sauce is an important ingredient in pizza & pasta sauces & forms the base of a lot of other dishes too.
Ingredients (makes enough sauce for 4 servings)
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 small onion (white or red)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano (yellow is supplied)
- Chop the onion.
- Crush the garlic. Use a garlic crusher if you have one.
- Heat a saucepan over a medium heat & add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the chopped onion & cook gently for 10 minutes or until it softens & becomes almost see through.
- Add the garlic & oregano, & keep stirring for 3 more minutes. Be careful not to burn it!
- Add the chopped tomatoes, followed by the bay leaf & mix it all together.
- When it starts to bubble, turn the heat down low so that it “simmers”, or bubbles gently. Cook the sauce for 20 minutes before carefully removing the bay leaf.
- You can use this sauce on gnocchi, pasta, pizza or as the base to lots of other dishes. Enjoy!
Tips & Extras
- You can freeze some sauce to use another time.
- If you prefer a smooth sauce try blending it.